Saturday, April 22, 2006

Farewell Column for Carrier

“If only I knew then what I know now …” is a common sentiment among people everywhere, especially college seniors.
Here at the end of school I can reflect on everything I thought I knew and everything I have learned.
I thought I knew what college was, and then I got here.
I thought I knew what meatloaf was, and then I tried the Aramark version.
I thought I knew what cool was, and then I found Alf, pogs and Digi-pets.
I thought I knew what staying up late was, and then I took world history.
I thought I knew what stress was, and then I experienced finals week.
I thought I knew what safety was, and then I heard about Columbine.
I thought I knew where nowhere was, and then I drove through Rockmart.
I thought I knew what faith was, and then it was challenged by professors.
I thought I knew what sexy was and then I saw Russ Jackson at Mr. Berry.
I thought I knew what duty was and then I saw the firefighters on September 11.
I thought I knew what friends were then I lived with them.
I thought I knew what privacy was, and then I took a shower in Dana.
But even though I have learned so much, I still have a few things left to learn.
My mom always told me to take care of my teeth, but I also heard that when in Rome do as the Romans. Which one do I go with?
How do deer poop all of the way across a side walk?
If alligator tastes like chicken and frog legs taste like chicken, why doesn’t Aramark fried chicken taste like chicken?
How came up with the stupid looking little graduation hats?
Do communications professors ever have trouble understanding each other?
Do Ford girls come to school that way or do they change – no, morph – into it?
Can the people who don’t want the new athletic center accurately be called Cage Fighters?
Why the heck does anybody like Napoleon dynamite?
Why do we call it the Information and Technology department if their Information isn’t accurate and their Technology doesn’t work?
Why does the cultural awareness house segregate the minority students so far from everything else?
What will we call the New Residence Hall when another one is built?
Why the heck I am allowed to ramble like this in the paper every week?
Would anyone really notice if the Science Building Pendulum was off kilter?
How did we live before Facebook?
Is a talent show still a talent show if the participants don’t have talent?
With still so many questions left, there are still plenty of reasons to come back to Berry. With all of the lessons I have learned, I am smart enough to have an idea of what the real world will be like. But with all of my lessons learned, I realize that I probably don’t have a clue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home